Director ORIC Message
Dr. Zia Ul Haq
- Director of ORIC
- Khyber Medical University
- +92 91 9217258
Zia Ul Haq is the Associate Professor of Public Health and Director of the Office of Research Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) at the Khyber Medical University. He is also an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer of Public Health in University of Glasgow, UK. He served as Medical Surveillance Officer at the World Health Organization and Field Epidemiology & Laboratory Training Program (FELTP) of CDC in Pakistan before moving to KMU in December 2008. He earned his doctorate in Public Health from University of Glasgow, UK under the Higher Education Commission funded project titled “Development of Khyber Medical University, Peshawar” (2011-2014).
His research interests are epidemiology of chronic diseases, especially cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes, obesity, mental health, environmental health, health-related quality of life and Health system. He is the author of many international impact factor journals (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Zia_Ul-Haq). He is also the principal investigator on a number of large research studies in Pakistan, including Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) demographic health survey, Environmental Health strategy of KPK, Health system and DHQ level health facility assessment for disaster preparedness, and Health Profiling of both public and private sector for the province of KPK, Pakistan.
The ORIC directed by him and assisted by the Deputy Director (Manager) Research, Deputy Director (Manager) University Industrial linkages and Deputy Director (Manager) Research Operations is performing the following activities;
- Manage and enhance research activities in the university which includes acting as secretariat for the advanced studies and research board and ethics board.
- Develop research policies and priorities (which include management, administration, supervision, monitoring and coordination of all research related activities) and explore new themes of research and research agenda of KMU.
- Work for fund raising for research and development.
- Promote capacity building activities within the university not only in the field of research but also in all discipline.
- Mobilize faculty to produce quality research projects.
- Mobilize community and industry to promote research commercialization.
- Serve as an effective advocate for research with the university and to its broader community of stakeholders and supporters and develop collaboration with national & international research bodies.
- Develop collaboration with relevant government bodies (health department, population welfare, planning & development, education) and lead in establishing and conducting health systems research.